The new Windows 8 Developer preview offers the first official look at Windows 8 for the general public. This early build was designed to give a high level look at the new Metro UI and because of that, omitted some simple features like the ability to change the background.
Neowin has already covered how to revert back to the standard start menu, but if you want to be able to change the background, the tutorial is posted below. We should not that this is for x64 builds of Windows 8 only, the x86 tutorial is still being developed.
The process for the tutorial got kicked off in our forums where Panda X began digging around to determine how to properly change the background. You can download the entire tutorial from DeviantArt.com
- 32-Bit versus 64-Bit Versions of Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 64-bit Gaining Traction Among Gamers, Steam Data Claims
- Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Boot Very Slow on Some Computers
- Windows 8.1 RTM GA Rollup A x64 leaks to Internet
- Windows 8 x64 Now the Second Top Choice for Gamers Worldwide
- Floodgates opened: Windows 8.1 Pro x86 and x64 plus Server 2012 R2 leaked